EMR SupportConsolidation of patient data has significant benefits to doctors, hospitals and health organizations. Systems and processes improve patient care, reduce errors and improve safety. SNC2 provides support of EMR applications including implementation and maintenance of the software on a day to day basis. SupportedContact Us
Electronic medical record (EMR) systems, defined as “an electronic record of health-related information on an individual that can be created, gathered, managed, and consulted by authorized clinicians and staff within one health care organization,”
Consolidation of patient data has significant benefits to doctors, hospitals and health organizations. Systems and processes improve patient care, reduce errors and improve safety. Adoption of EMR systems has been slow in the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma region especially amongst the older physicians or those close to retirement age.
Challenges to adopting full function EMR/EHR
- Expensive initial capital cost with what seems an insufficient return on investment for small providers
- Inability to implement the applications and change to adapt to the new processes
- Failure to redesign the workflow and change from a paper-based system to an electronic (EMR/EHR) system
- Challenges of older demographic (Physicians) with new technology
- Lack of skilled resources, proper training and implementation issues
- Concern that the selected EMR software company has the resources to keep up with the current change in reporting and data storage
- Significant maintenance and replacement cost of computers and annual software subscriptions
- How to guarantee the security of data to meet HIPAA compliancy requirements
- Additional issues around proper access permissions and logging of patient record access
- Concern regarding negative unintended consequences of technology
Recognizing the role that EMRs can play in transforming health care, in 2003, the Institute of Medicine issued a group of eight key functions for safety, quality, and care efficiency that EMRs should support.
Benefits to adopting a full function EMR/EHR
- Improved physician access to patient data, such as test results, diagnoses, allergies, prescription and medication histories.
- Sharing of health and lab results among providers in multiple cities. Ex. Physician in Joplin can share information with a specialist in Springfield MO.
- Faster data entry and single screen reuse of data already entered. Ex. Patient can provide key information regarding name, date, SSN etc to family physician in Northwest Arkansas. During an emergency visit in Rolla, MO all data is transferred to the facility as opposed to the patient filling out mundane information again. This would increase speed at which a patient information can be seen and ultimately improve services.
- Computerized decision-support systems to prevent drug interactions and improve compliance with best practices
- Secure electronic communication among providers and patients
- Patient access to health records, including bill-pay and information archives
- Improved scheduling and patient notification of appointments
- Standardized diagnosis codes and reporting
EMR Systems and Design
Traditionally, EMR/EHR vendors created systems that conform only to proprietary database formats, making it difficult for them to send and receive data from other, potentially competing products. The current medical vendors are now using standardized server operating system provided by Microsoft (server 2019, 2016), IBM (AIX, UNIX). Desktop platforms running Windows 10, tablets and laptops with touchscreen are also becoming mainstream. Furthermore, the storage of data in databases such as SQL allows simpler interoperability between vendors. Applications interfaces allow bidirectional data transfer between PACS, EMR/EHR, Laboratories using HL7 interfaces.
How SNC2 makes the difference
SNC2 provides support of EMR/EHR applications including implementation and maintenance of the software on a day to day basis. Our services cover everything from the application on the workstations, through the network, servers, into the cloud. Security for cloud access and protection of EMR/EHR applications behind appropriate Firewalls and Multifactor authentications are key. Our staff is HIPAA compliance trained. Physicians can take advantage of outsourcing the mundane and labor-intensive maintenance of systems so that their staff can focus on their patients. Our staff can step in to assist with new EMR software updates and changes on a routine basis. We are experts in new server technologies, multiple EMR/EHR systems and software and excel in cloud migrations, security and data protection. SNC2 can provide the exact IT solutions that your practice needs.